Thursday, February 25, 2010

MOCA Week 4


After being out of commission for a while, I have some things to make up, so here it goes. I chose this piece entitled Arno Rousseau by Philippe Abril because I have always been a fan of the "old" style pictures that I remember looking at in my aunt's old colonial house, and how it has been adapted into a cartoonish jungle setting. I love the mysterious figure lurking in the background who seems to be playing a flute as if he is summoning these old spirits who have an other-worldly glow to them.


I could find no information on his artistic expressions or style, as the only biography was wrtten in French and I can't understand it. However, I did find some personal info on him which tells of his favorite artistic medium is that of acrylic painting and is a fan of abstract expressionism, and his favorite artist is Picasso.




I believe a simple photoshop job was done to crete this artwork, in tht it was nothing more than taking a pre-existing background art piece and inserting the old style pictures in and adding a glow to the people in it, giving it that eerie feeling.

2 comments:

  1. This piece is a take off on Henri Rousseau's work... He was an influential French painter at the advent of impressionism and really pioneered surrealism...

    Nice...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definitely look more into the original artwork!

    ReplyDelete