Thursday, February 25, 2010

MOCA week 7


Of all the techniques we've learned these past 7 weeks, I think my favorite is fractals. Karin Kuhlmann's abstract art is one of the glories of algorithmic art. She calls her work AbstrsXness, and it has had wide celebrity in recent years and has won a number of awards. Her fractal pieces are composed and colored in Photoshop using KPT5's FraxFram filter. She writes, "Like the surrealists and some abstractionists I prefer to utilize 'Automatism' for my creative process in order to release my inner pictures. I usally generate a series of inspiring and associative shapes on transparent layers and combine thenm to form subtle arrangements of glowing transparent areas of colors, including the light behind it." This piece is called 'Rapture of the Deep'.

1 comment:

  1. Fractals do strike a deep chord with me too... The key is to work with expressive color and elegant gradients...

    ReplyDelete