Monday, January 11, 2010

Hypnotist by Tom Crayns


I chose this picture because of the amount of thought that went into it. It isn't my favorite style art, as I like bio-mechanical art that is H.R. Giger in nature, but having just watched the new Sherlock Holmes movie there are themes that pop out to me in this picture. The dark figure at the top of the screen is the hypnotist and his flowing overcoat, similar to those found on men walking the overcast streets of London many moons ago, seems to be a distracting effect that makes the brain of the fore-grounds blue shaded target crackle and pop in wild, vibrant, misguided symphony. This wild effect that covers the head of the blue man looks as though it is shaped as a crown, again a sign to British royalty, follows the sporadic patterns and colors of fire.


I am no expert when it comes to what art programs are available, but it doesn't look like it would have taken a highly complicated program to complete. The shapes are mostly curved lines which can be done with an electronic stylus that are only drawn to the edge of a page and then mirrored to open twice as wide creating a mirror effect. The only thing that looks photoshopped is the crown of fire upon the victim's head.


Overall I think the art was created shortly after seeing the movie From Hell starring Johnny Depp.

1 comment:

  1. Do take a moment to go beyond free association and find out what program or technique the artist used to create the work. We will be using the identical software in an upcoming project. From MOCA "Tom Crayns
    "Soft Surreal Artist from the far side of the digital medium. My style tends to focus on compressing the complexity via simplicity, unfolding its mysteries and going beyond the reason. I've always seen things differently; perhaps that's my greatest gift. Born and bred in New York City, my imagination is fueled daily. So lucky am I to experience the diversity. Here in NYC evoke is electric. Late in the night quietly the mouse starts to roar.

    "Dipped in contrast; flow packed pixels onto parchment and the little engine that could, -rumbles. Delving through the perplexity of darkness, nothing alters the artist’s path. Electrolyte fires across the threshold of imagination, what is left are images evoked by your own engine.

    "My computer generated art is tooled with various editors and recently I have incorporated Ultra Fractal 5. Whatever tools I see them as opportunities to explore new enhancements. As powerful expensive tools improve (Id love to have more toys) nothing rumbles more power than our own dreams. It’s so because we make it so."

    Tom Crayn's website

    Tom Crayn's AutoGallery exhibit"

    ReplyDelete