Tuesday, January 26, 2010


I've always liked typography. Years ago in an art class we had to create the alphabet into a new typeface design. I chose as my topic 'insects'; found an insect that began with each letter in the alphabet to represent that letter and formed each letter into the insect it represented in 3D! Fun! So I was drawn to Christel Dall's work, who recently began to explore the realm of digital art. She loves to work with typography and to incorporate words as compositional elements in pictures. She says she can be 'everything from a minimalist to a surrealist' depending on where the whim takes her. Adobe Photoshop is her preferred tool. It is written of her collection: "The images here are cries of communication: letters, missives, messages from the heart. This is as close as graphics gets to autobiography." This piece says: 'You lied to yourself before you lied to me. So U know who U R? You're a FAKE, And I'm for real.' If you like this form of art, you may like 'The Book of Psalms' illustrated by Timothy R. Botts.

1 comment: