Monday, January 18, 2010

Moca Week 2

While looking through the MOCA website this week, I was really drawn towards the artwork of Dominic Rouse. Most of his pieces are in black and white and have dark themes. They remind me of old horror movies or poems by Edgar Allen Poe. He treats each image as a stage fill with landscapes, portraits and body parts. His work is surreal and uniquely powerful.
My favorite of this work that I saw was this piece, "Angeline." I really like it, again, because it reminds me of a horror movie. The large bird is reminiscent of "The Raven." There are many different angles in the building from the ceiling and the stairs, which makes the photo more visially interesting.

2 comments:

  1. Good Jessica! I like that your response resonates with fiction you have read! We can't critique in a vacuum....

    ReplyDelete